Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans' Day

I got to have lunch and spend the afternoon yesterday with one of our newest Veterans. It was truly an honor.

My friend is in his twenties. He was a Marine stationed in Iraq. His unit was ambushed in Falujah, rocked by an explosive device. He suffered a traumatic brain injury as a result. He is a hero.

I totally enjoyed just listening to his patriotism, sense of duty, commitment to the Marines, and his evaluation of life and service to our country.

The strength of our nation really does rest on the shoulders of young men just like this, who, without regard for political parties, elections, or anything else, do their job without complaint, risk their lives to defend us, and stand strong in a faraway land.

Today, I saw a veteran wearing his purple heart and another one wearing his Air Force uniform (each of these men were easily in their 70s). I guess today was the first Veterans' Day where I really took notice of these guys. I am definitely thankful for them. Happy Veterans Day!

No comments: