Wednesday, February 23, 2011

We Know?

For we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28 (TNIV)


As Christians, we love this verse. We quote it often and use it as a source of comfort in troubling times. It seems that we take particular assurance from it during times of great tragedy.

But do we really know this truth? Do we really know that in all things, God works for our good? It seems that often we do not really believe it. When we fret about the potential loss of a job, when our medical bills stack up, when we are discouraged that our plans for life are not turning out the way we had hoped, do we really know that God is working all things for our good?

I am often guilty of the sin of worry. I see trouble or difficulty looming on the horizon and I think of all the potential disasters that are going to happen. As a result. I get upset, stressed, and grumpy. Just ask my wife! And all of that shows that in my heart I am not really grasping the truth of this verse. If it really is true that in all things God really is working everything for my good and his glory according to his plan, then worry should never enter my mind.

I am often like the disciples in the midst of the storm on the Sea of Galilee with Jesus asleep in the boat. They feared for their lives, but if they really understood that the master of the sea was in the boat with them, they would have had nothing to fear. Instead, they wake him with the question, "Don't you care that we are about to die?" They doubted instead of trusting. And that is what happens when I forget this verse.

Father, help me to trust in your work in my life no matter what is happening.

No comments: